At Chengbao, we’re leading the way to a more private and secure digital world. Consumers in over 180 countries around the globe rely on our industry-leading cybersecurity software and services.
We are an international tech company with a team of 300+ worldwide and a core team of 80 based in Hong Kong. We’re profitable, growing, and just getting started.
We hire world-class developers, product managers, and marketers in the industry, and give them the tools to succeed. Together, we ship beautiful, usable software for desktop and mobile that our customers use and love every day.
Ready to do the best work of your life? We’ve built just the place.
We’re looking for server-side developers
We’re looking for server-side developers to join our team building user-friendly online services for consumers. We use a micro-services architecture with a broad range of different technology stacks and high levels of automated test coverage. The majority of our backend is written in Ruby.
Your responsibilities may cover systems that each bring their own set of interesting technical and design challenges, especially around scale, security, and availability.
We’re open to candidates with various levels of experience. From junior to very senior, come talk to us!
Profile of an ideal candidate
- You love to solve problems, you’re excited about building well-designed systems, eager to learn and continually improve your skills.
- You take great pride in the quality of your code
- Expert in at least one modern server-side language. You test your code primarily with automation.
- Eager to learn some Ruby (you’ll see a lot of it here, though it won’t necessarily be your primary language)
- Nice to have: Experience building high-load scalable systems
- Nice to have: Devops experience (Linux, Docker, Nginx, Ansible, Databases, Queues)
- In general, we’re looking for someone with raw smarts and potential who can easily learn the specific skills needed for our work.
We follow best practices for software development
- Continuous Delivery. All logic is tested automatically. We deploy multiple times per day. We often use TDD.
- Microservices architecture. We can pick the right stack for each individual application. Currently those involve combinations of Ruby, Go, Node.JS, C, mySQL, Postgres, Redis, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Docker, Chef and Ansible.
- Code-reviews. We invest in spreading knowledge around the team, and keeping our code easy to read, test, and maintain.
Highlights of interesting tech challenges
- Scale and performance challenges. Handle tens of thousands of rpm, scale across geographically distributed datacenters, solve complex computational tasks quickly, and be highly available.
- Security. We work with world-class penetration testers.
- API design. We have client-side apps for Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, and soon Linux. Keep the API designs simple and meet the various requirements for our apps.
- Split-testing. We make heavy use of A/B testing to optimize our front-end for sales conversions. We have enough volume to often get significant results within one day.
- Attractive compensation and benefits
- Flexible working hours and a healthy work-life balance
- Work in a challenging, collaborative, and fun environment